Ingrid (Street Fighter ZERO3 Double Upper) and Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue) join the game as Solo Units along with the returning Estelle (Tales of Vesperia), while Vega/M. Bison (Street Fighter II), Pyron (Vampire/Darkstalkers), Black Hayato (Star Gladiator), Ranmaru (Sakura Wars) and Metal Face (Xenoblade Chronicles) wreak havoc anew with T-elos (Xenosaga) as Rival Units.
Also, Ada Wong (Resident Evil 6), Miles Edgeworth/Reiji Mitsurugi (Ace Attorney/Gyakuten Saiban), Tiki (Fire Emblem Awakening), Cardinal Garigliano (Resonance of Fate/End of Eternity) and Tarosuke (Yokai Dochuki) will have their share of the limelight in the game's story.
Check out the recently revealed cast's official character artworks, in-game portraits and screenshots after the break.
Mokujin (TK), Q-Bee (Vampire/DS), Shturm Jr. (Captain Commando), Nemesis T-Type, Tyrant, Hunter, Ustanak (RE), Vector (SG) and Vajra (God Eater) also appear in the showcase trailer below. Click here for the game's New York Comic Con trailer.
The issue with soundtracks
A lot of theme songs were removed from PXZ, including its opening and ending themes "Wing Wanderer" and "Galaxy" performed by Yoko Takahashi, when it was localized for English-speaking gamers. It was most likely due to strict copyright and licensing issues in Japan, and I (and I'm sure as well as a lot of fans) didn't like the omissions one bit, so I hope the developers don't do the same thing for the Engilsh version of PXZ2. If it's any consolation and a sign of things to come, the game's original Japanese opening theme song "Sekai wa Hitotsu no Butai" sung by marina played in the English trailer.
My wishlist recap
- They rectified the absence of the item shop in the first PXZ by adding it to this sequel, and with more than just one shopkeeper.
- A few of my old favorites from Namco X Capcom who were missing from PXZ are now making their epic return: namely, Felicia, Captain Commando and Strider Hiryu.
- I wished for some other series to be represented in PXZ2, and they now are: Plasma Sword/Star Gladiator and Shenmue are now very well represented by June and Ryo Hazuki, respectively.
- They particularly picked out Vega and Pyron from my bosses wishlist and put them in the game.
- Finally--and something that I really wasn't expecting to happen AT ALL--they included THE Segata Sanshiro in the game! They even recreated his dream sequence with Sakura Shinguji in the old Sega Saturn Sakura Taisen II commercial!
It makes sense that some heroes and villains from PXZ were taken out of PXZ2 since they had pretty much run their course in the former's story. However, I find it hard to accept that they took guys like Batsu (Justice Gakuen/Rival Schools), Soma and Lindow (God Eater), Frank West (Dead Rising), Tron Bonne (Rockman DASH) Haken, Kaguya and Sänger (Endless Frontier) off because I think they could still write out in-game scenarios for them that connects to their games of origin. Well, I just hope that they still have a few more characters left to reveal before it launches in a month's time.
I could care less about Kogoro and Mii, though; I played PXZ to the end (I'm playing it for the second time while waiting for PXZ2), but somehow I didn't find their design nor their characters memorable at all.
Anyway, I feel that now that most of the old characters are gone, some more characters, particularly villains, should add more spice and drama to the PXZ2's story. I guess I don't think I'll be content if I don't see Gouki (even Oni), Ogre (and True Ogre), Nightmare (SoulCalibur), and Albert Wesker (Resident Evil) antagonize their heroic counterparts in the game.
And yeah, I'm still clamoring for Bayonetta. And maybe Hatsune Miku.
There's only one month left before the game launches. Let's stay tuned for more possible PXZ2 news.